Sick From Remodeling? Here’s What You Need to Know
It’s a question that many homeowners ask after embarking on a home improvement project: is it possible that remodeling will make you sick? The answer is yes, if you are exposed to harmful chemicals or substances while remodeling your home, you can become ill.
Construction dust, mold, mildew, and lead paint are examples of contaminants. These materials, if inhaled, can harm your lungs and make you sick. Taking precautions, such as wearing a mask and gloves when working with potentially hazardous materials, is the best way to avoid becoming ill while remodeling. You can help protect yourself and your family from the dangers of renovating an older home by following these simple steps.
8 Steps to Keep You Safe While Remodeling
If you’re planning on doing any remodeling in your home, it’s important to be aware of the potential risks involved so that you can take the necessary precautions. By following these eight simple steps, you can help keep yourself and your family safe from harm:
1. Make sure your home is well-ventilated. When working with any potentially hazardous materials, it’s important to have good ventilation to help reduce your exposure.
2. Wear protective clothing. This includes things like gloves, masks, and eye protection.
3. Avoid using power tools in enclosed spaces. The fumes from these tools can be dangerous if inhaled.
4. Be careful when removing lead paint. Lead paint chips and dust can be harmful if ingested or inhaled. Always wet down the area before starting work and wear a mask to avoid breathing in the dust particles.
5. Don’t sand or burn construction materials like insulation or drywall. The fumes from these activities can be toxic if inhaled.
6. Keep food and drinks out of the work area. If any contaminants come into contact with food or drink items, they could contaminate them and make them unsafe to consume.
7 demolish carefully . Particles created from demolition can be harmful if inhaled, so it’s important to work slowly and carefully to minimize the amount of dust created .
8 . Have your home tested for asbestos before beginning any renovation project . Asbestos is a harmful substance that can cause lung cancer if inhaled . If your home was built before 1978 , there’s a chance it contains asbestos .
Yes, it is possible to become ill from remodeling your home if you are exposed to harmful chemicals or substances . However , by taking precautions such as wearing protective clothing and making sure your home is well-ventilated , you can help reduce your risk of becoming sick . Additionally , following these eight simple steps during your next home improvement project will help keep you and your family safe from harm .